Current:Home > ScamsSudan fighting rages despite ceasefire calls as death toll climbs over 400 -Wealth Axis Pro
Sudan fighting rages despite ceasefire calls as death toll climbs over 400
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-07 06:18:33
At least 413 people have been killed in fighting in Sudan since violence broke out on April 15, according to the United Nations' World Health Organization, most of them civilians. One U.S. citizen is among those who've been killed, the State Department said Thursday, without providing further detail.
In his first statement since his disagreement with another commander engulfed Sudan in violence nearly a week ago, the head of the Sudanese Armed Forces, Gen. Abdel Fattah Burhan, said Friday that he was committed to a "safe transition to civilian rule" for the east African country, the Associated Press reported. The comments appeared to be a bid for international support as the deadly fighting between his forces and those of his now-rival, Gen. Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo, continued despite calls for a ceasefire to stop the bloodshed for the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Fitr.
- 2 Sudan generals are at war with each other. Here's what to know.
Burhan and Dagalo, who commands Sudan's paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), had been allies, joining forces to topple long-time dictator Omar al-Bashir in 2019. But a recent dispute over how to consolidate their two forces turned them against one another, leading to the current bloodshed, which three ceasefire attempts have now failed to halt.
A Sudanese medical group said "several areas of Khartoum were bombed" overnight as people marked the holiday, and there was ongoing "shelling and clashes," according to the AP.
"Instead of waking up to the call to prayer, people in Khartoum again woke up to heavy fighting," Endre Stiansen, Norway's ambassador to Sudan said Thursday. "Can any hell be more horrible than this?"
The sudden eruption of warfare in the country has left many other nations scrambling to try and ensure the safety of their citizens there.
The U.S. was "moving forward to pre-position some military forces and capabilities nearby just for contingency purposes in case they would be needed for any kind of evacuation," National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby said Thursday. He added that no decision had yet been made about evacuating U.S. personnel.
Meanwhile, civilians caught up in the fighting were continuing to try to flee to safety.
"There is no safe place anymore in Khartoum," 37-year-old baker Dallia Abdelmoniem told the AP. She said her family decided to flee the capital after a rocket came through their roof.
From a shelter outside the city, she said the road leading out of Khartoum was covered with dead bodies.
"Our number one priority is just to stay alive," Abdelmoniem said.
- In:
- War
- Africa
- Sudan
Haley Ott is an international reporter for CBS News based in London.
TwitterveryGood! (41)
Related
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Tropical Storm Ernesto batters northeast Caribbean and aims at Puerto Rico as it strengthens
- Jurors to hear opening statements in trial of ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas reporter
- Producer Killah B on making history with his first country song, Beyoncé's 'Texas Hold 'Em'
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Social media influencers descend on the White House, where Biden calls them the new ‘source of news’
- Retired Olympic Gymnast Nastia Liukin Was Team USA’s Biggest Fan at the 2024 Paris Games
- 'Growing up is hard enough': Jarren Duran's anti-gay slur could hurt LGBTQ youth
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Developers of stalled Minnesota copper-nickel mine plan studies that may lead to significant changes
Ranking
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- Presented with rise in border crossings, Harris chose a long-term approach to the problem
- Hundreds able to return home after fleeing wildfire along California-Nevada line near Reno
- Kylie Jenner opens up about motherhood in new interview: 'I'm finally feeling like myself'
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Retired Olympic Gymnast Nastia Liukin Was Team USA’s Biggest Fan at the 2024 Paris Games
- Spain to investigate unauthorized Katy Perry music video in a protected natural area
- Before lobster, Maine had a thriving sardine industry. A sunken ship reminds us of its storied past
Recommendation
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
Houston prosecutors find no evidence of efforts to sway 2022 elections but charge a county worker
Trump-backed US Rep. Celeste Maloy wins Republican primary in Utah after recount, court case
Google rolls out Pixel 9 phones earlier than usual as AI race with Apple heats up
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
New York Yankees star Juan Soto hits 3 home runs in a game for first time
Justin Herbert injury concerns could zap Chargers' season, but Jim Harbaugh stays cool
Collin Gosselin Says Mom Kate Gosselin Told Him He “Destroyed” Their Family