Current:Home > StocksElon Musk’s refusal to have Starlink support Ukraine attack in Crimea raises questions for Pentagon -Wealth Axis Pro
Elon Musk’s refusal to have Starlink support Ukraine attack in Crimea raises questions for Pentagon
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-07 06:11:23
NATIONAL HARBOR, Md. (AP) — SpaceX founder Elon Musk’s refusal to allow Ukraine to use Starlink internet services to launch a surprise attack on Russian forces in Crimea last September has raised questions as to whether the U.S. military needs to be more explicit in future contracts that services or products it purchases could be used in war, Air Force Secretary Frank Kendall said Monday.
Excerpts of a new biography of Musk published by The Washington Post last week revealed that the Ukrainians in September 2022 had asked for the Starlink support to attack Russian naval vessels based at the Crimean port of Sevastopol. Musk had refused due to concerns that Russia would launch a nuclear attack in response. Russia seized Crimea from Ukraine in 2014 and claims it as its territory.
Musk was not on a military contract when he refused the Crimea request; he’d been providing terminals to Ukraine for free in response to Russia’s February 2022 invasion. However, in the months since, the U.S. military has funded and officially contracted with Starlink for continued support. The Pentagon has not disclosed the terms or cost of that contract, citing operational security.
But the Pentagon is reliant on SpaceX for far more than the Ukraine response, and the uncertainty that Musk or any other commercial vendor could refuse to provide services in a future conflict has led space systems military planners to reconsider what needs to be explicitly laid out in future agreements, Kendall said during a roundtable with reporters at the Air Force Association convention at National Harbor, Maryland, on Monday.
“If we’re going to rely upon commercial architectures or commercial systems for operational use, then we have to have some assurances that they’re going to be available,” Kendall said. “We have to have that. Otherwise they are a convenience and maybe an economy in peacetime, but they’re not something we can rely upon in wartime.”
SpaceX also has the contract to help the Air Force’s Air Mobility Command develop a rocket ship that would quickly move military cargo into a conflict zone or disaster zone, which could alleviate the military’s reliance on slower aircraft or ships. While not specifying SpaceX, Gen. Mike Minihan, head of Air Mobility Command, said, “American industry has to be clear-eyed on the full spectrum of what it could be used for.”
As U.S. military investment in space has increased in recent years, concerns have revolved around how to indemnify commercial vendors from liability in case something goes wrong in a launch and whether the U.S. military has an obligation to defend those firms’ assets, such as their satellites or ground stations, if they are providing military support in a conflict.
Until Musk’s refusal in Ukraine, there had not been a focus on whether there needed to be language saying a firm providing military support in war had to agree that that support could be used in combat.
“We acquire technology, we acquire services, required platforms to serve the Air Force mission, or in this case, the Department of the Air Force,” said Andrew Hunter, assistant secretary of the Air Force for acquisition, technology and logistics. “So that is an expectation, that it is going to be used for Air Force purposes, which will include, when necessary, to be used to support combat operations.”
veryGood! (5933)
Related
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Speaker Johnson insists he’s sticking to budget deal but announces no plan to stop partial shutdown
- Supreme Court agrees to hear Starbucks appeal in Memphis union case
- Belarusian journalist goes on trial for covering protests, faces up to 6 years in prison
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Biden says Austin still has his confidence, but not revealing hospitalization was lapse in judgment
- Ohio, more states push for social media laws to limit kids’ access: Where they stand
- Grubhub agrees to a $3.5 million settlement with Massachusetts for fees charged during the pandemic
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- They’re not aliens. That’s the verdict from Peru officials who seized 2 doll-like figures
Ranking
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- A 4th person has died after fiery crash near western New York concert, but motive remains a mystery
- Missing Mom Jennifer Dulos Declared Dead Nearly 5 Years After Disappearance
- Body of skier retrieved from Idaho backcountry after avalanche that forced rescue of 2 other men
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- 2 brothers fall into frozen pond while ice fishing on New York lake, 1 survives and 1 dies
- More drone deliveries, new AI tech: Here's a guide to what Walmart unveiled at CES 2024
- Supreme Court agrees to hear Starbucks appeal in Memphis union case
Recommendation
Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
Family sues school district over law that bans transgender volleyball player from girls’ sports
Senate confirms 1st woman to lead Maine National Guard
Christian McCaffrey, Tyreek Hill, Fred Warner unanimous selections for AP All-Pro Team
The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
Michigan’s tax revenue expected to rebound after a down year
After Alabama speculation, Florida State coach Mike Norvell signs 8-year extension
Former Connecticut mayoral candidate pleads guilty to Jan. 6 Capitol breach charge